Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Craft Day - Chalkboard Mugs

For awhile now, I've been wanting to have a Craft Day with some girls inspired by Meg's Craft Weekends.  I love being creative, and it was especially fun getting to put together some fun crafts for me and 13 of my good friends to get to do together.  We had such a fun day where we did seven different projects together.  I'll be sharing each of our crafts over the next few days.
I set up tables in my living room with all the supplies we needed to do each craft.  Each girl had a bag to load up her goodies in after the day was over.  

Today, we're going to start with an easy one - Chalkboard Mugs.  It's a simple one, and it doesn't cost a lot of money.  It's great for gifts - put a couple packets of hot chocolate and a candy cane...wrap it up in cellophane, and it's a perfect gift for a neighbor or teacher!
First, gather all your supplies: 
Mug - These were $0.99 at IKEA.  The Dollar Store also has white mugs you can use.
Chalkboard paint - You can get this at any local hardware store, Michael's (Martha 
   Stewart brand is there) or Hobby Lobby
1" foam brush
Chalk
Ribbon to tie on chalk

Each person received their own mug to paint.  
Using a 1" foam brush, you can brush on the rectangle
shape.  It may take 2 coats to fully cover.
All the mugs drying...
Note: use painter's tape if you need a little guide to help you paint.
Tie on 3 pieces of chalk, and now your mug can be personalized! 

1 comment:

Cindy Hernandez said...

This was such a fun day! I loved making the chalkboard mug and definitely plan on making some more for gifts! Thanks for all of your hard work you put into making this day so great. I hope this becomes an annual get together!